The Need for Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers
Distracted driving accident lawyers are becoming more necessary with every passing year. With the proliferation of mobile devices and growing complexity of automotive touchscreens, drivers have more competing for their attention than ever before—and distracted driving accidents are the inevitable result.
Distracted Driving Is a Growing Problem
Here are some of the latest statistics about distracted driving accidents from reports by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Distracted driving accidents claimed the lives of 3,522 Americans in 2021
- This represents a 12% increase in distracted driving fatalities compared with the previous year
- In 2021, distracted driving accidents killed more people than incidents involving a hit-and-run
- In 2019, 424,000 Americans were injured by distracted drivers
- At 55 miles per hour, sending a single text is equivalent to driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT), nearly one in five car accidents on the state’s roads in 2021 was caused by distracted driving.
Types of Distracted Driving
The CDC divides distracted driving into three types:
- Visual (taking your eyes off the road)
- Manual (taking your hands off the wheel)
- Cognitive (taking your mind off driving)
Distracted driving can occur as a result of the following:
- Texting on a mobile device
- Surfing the web on a mobile device
- Shifting attention to the car’s touchscreen
- Adjusting the car’s radio or becoming too focused on music
- Shifting attention to the car’s passengers
- And more
What to Do If You Are the Victim of a Distracted Driving Accident
The first thing you should do if you are the victim of a distracted driving accident is attend to the health and safety of yourself and your passengers. Then contact law enforcement and make sure all injuries and property damage are carefully reported. At that point, it may be time to find an experienced distracted driving accident lawyer.
Our Record Speaks for Itself
The Roach Law Firm’s distracted driving accident lawyers have won judgments and reached settlements totaling billions of dollars over the years, for clients just like you. They have participated in the following landmark cases:
- $730 Million Truck Accident Verdict
In 2021, Roach Law Firm Partner Nelson J. Roach won $730 million in a case arising from a Texas truck accident, the fourth-largest jury verdict in the United States and third-largest in Texas that year. The case was filed by the family of East Texas resident Toni Combest, a 73-year-old great-grandmother who was killed in a collision with an oversize-cargo truck hauling a propeller for a U.S. Navy nuclear submarine.
- $1.1 Million Walmart Slip and Fall Verdict
In 2021, Nelson J. Roach won $1.1 million in a slip and fall case against retail giant Walmart, one of the largest verdicts in a personal injury case in Texarkana history.
- The State of Texas Tobacco Litigation
In 1995, Roach Law Firm Partner Nelson J. Roach and his former law firm were among a group selected by the State of Texas to prosecute the state’s claims against the tobacco industry. Roach and his team members won $17 billion for the state, setting a record for the largest settlement of a single legal case in U.S. history.
No Fees Unless You Win
The Roach Law Firm operates on a contingency basis, meaning we are paid only if we win your case. We charge no upfront fees for filing your distracted driving accident lawsuit, and we will not bill you for any expenses while it is pending.
If you or one of your loved ones have suffered a serious injury or death resulting from distracted driving, call us at (903) 645-7333 or fill out the electronic form on this page. One of our distracted driving accident lawyers will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Contact us today for a free consultation!