Texas is not a “no-fault” state when it comes to car or truck accidents. Instead, the Lone Star State operates under an “at-fault” system. That means the driver found to be at fault in an auto accident is responsible for paying for the vehicle damage, medical expenses, and any other costs incurred by other parties in the accident. The insurance company covering the at-fault driver may also be liable.
Who Is Responsible for Paying for Car Accident Damage in Texas?
Since Texas is not a no-fault state, the driver who is responsible for a car or truck accident is responsible for paying for damages, along with his or her insurance company. Other people injured in the accident have the right to take legal action to seek compensation, and the car accident lawyers at the Roach Law Firm represent clients like these every day.
In no-fault states, each party who is involved in a car or truck accident is responsible paying his or her own damages, regardless of who caused the incident. In states like these, drivers often carry a different type of insurance known as personal injury protection (PIP) insurance.
What Are the Minimum Requirements for Car Insurance in Texas?
The minimum car accident insurance requirements in Texas include liability coverage for bodily injuries and property damage. They include:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per victim
- $60,000 for bodily injury per accident (coverage for multiple victims combined)
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
Other types of auto insurance in Texas include collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, and more.
What Damages Can I Recover for Personal Injuries in a Car Accident in Texas?
Here are some of the damages and other costs that victims of car accidents in Texas may recover, particularly if they have hired an experienced car accident lawyer:
- Medical Expenses. Compensation for past and future medical bills related to personal injuries sustained in the car accident, including rehabilitation
- Lost Income. Recovery for lost income or wages due to the inability to work after a car accident, including future earnings
- Vehicle Repair or Replacement. Compensation for restoring or replacing the vehicle damaged in the accident.
- Mental anguish. Compensation for emotional distress caused by the car accident and its aftermath
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life. Damages related to the reduction in the quality of life suffered by the victim of a car accident, including the negative impact it may have on the relationship with his or her spouse and family
- Funeral and Burial Expenses. In car accidents resulting in a fatality, the family of the victim may be entitled to recover the costs of funerial and burial services for the lost loved one
Is There a Deadline for Filing a Car Accident Claim in Texas?
Since Texas is not a no-fault state, victims of car accidents may have to file personal injury claims to get the compensation they deserve. Under Texas law, victims have up to two years to file those claims after accidents have occurred. Skilled car accident attorneys like those at the Roach Law Firm can help you gather evidence and file your claim promptly, ensuring that you recover what you and your loved ones deserve.
Since Texas Is Not a No-Fault State, What Do I Do to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Car Accident?
If you or a loved one have suffered a car or truck accident in Texas, don’t attempt to negotiate with other parties or insurance companies on your own. Contact the car accident lawyers or truck accident lawyers at the Roach Law Firm instead. Because Texas is not a no-fault state, you will need help with the following:
- Negotiation with insurance companies
- Recovery of lost wages, medical expenses, and more
- Assistance with wrongful death claims
The Roach Law Firm will also handle your case from beginning to end, whether your case results in a substantial settlement or goes all the way to trial. Unlike most of the law firms you see advertised on TV and billboards, we do not outsource your case to inferior lawyers who lack courtroom experience and who agree to unjust settlements.
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious car accident or truck accident in East Texas or the surrounding region, make sure to find an accident lawyer who is based in the area, who has a long record of substantial verdicts and settlements, and who is willing and able to give you the personal attention you deserve. Your fair compensation depends on it.