Last week, two people died and one person was injured in a tragic truck accident in Upshur County, near the community of Gilmer, Texas.
According to a report by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), the truck accident occurred when 20-year old Gilmer resident Elijah Auld was driving a 2008 Chevrolet Impala northbound on State Highway 155, just in front of a Freightliner, one of the most common types of semi-trucks. The Freightliner was towing a trailer, like most big rigs on Texas highways.
The Truck Accident Was Caused When the Truck Driver Failed to Control His Speed
Auld slowed down to yield to an oncoming vehicle before making a left-hand turn. The report states that the driver of the Freightliner failed to control their speed and collided with the rear of the Impala, sending it into the path of the oncoming car.
Auld and his passenger, 21-year-old Gilmer resident Kinzy Jones, were pronounced dead at the scene of the truck accident. The oncoming car was driven by 37-year-old Kailey Wildt of Gilmer, who was transported with incapacitating injuries to a hospital in Tyler, Texas.
The driver of the Freightliner 18-wheeler was uninjured.
What to Do If You or a Loved One Are the Victim of a Gilmer Truck Accident
- If your vehicle is struck while you’re inside it and the car is operable, move to a safe place as soon as possible—usually the right-hand shoulder of the road.
- Assess if anyone in your vehicle is injured. Never try to move someone who appears to be injured. If someone is injured (including yourself), contact emergency services via 911.
- If you don’t need to contact emergency services, contact the police and make an official report. For that report, you’ll want the following information:
- A description of the vehicle that hit you
- Its license plate, if possible
- A description of the driver, if possible
- Consider finding an experienced truck accident lawyer.
Why Choose the Roach Law Firm for a Truck or Car Accident Lawsuit?
- We Don’t Collect a Fee Unless We Win
For most victims, the best option is finding a truck accident lawyer that operates on a contingency basis, like the Roach Law Firm. Contingency-fee firms don’t make money unless they win, so their clients have nothing to lose.
- We Recover Your Lost Wages, Medical Expenses, and More
When you’ve been injured due to another driver’s negligence, you shouldn’t have to worry about bills. The Roach Law Firm’s experienced attorneys are experts in car accident injury compensation and the car accident settlement process and will recover what you deserve.
- We Get Tough with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies make money by refusing to pay for injury claims like yours. The party at fault in an accident will often try to avoid court by making “lowball” settlement offers. Don’t fall into this trap! Find a good car accident lawyer and discuss the matter. Earlier this year, Roach Law Firm Partner Nelson J. Roach showed why this is important: He won a $1.1 million jury verdict in an accident case filed against Walmart after the retailer had offered to settle the case for $150,000.
- We Personally Attend to Your Case Beginning to End
Unlike other firms, the Roach Law Firm handles your case from beginning to end. You’ll have access to our top attorneys from the moment we file your case until we win at trial.
The Roach Law Firm Won a $730 Million Victory in a Recent Accident Case
If you or a loved one have experienced a Gilmer truck accident or a car or truck accident elsewhere in Texas, consider your legal options carefully. Find a Texas truck accident lawyer with a history of significant victories.
The Texas car and truck accident lawyers at the Roach Law Firm have won landmark judgments and settlements totaling billions of dollars. Their victories include a $730 million win in a Texas truck accident lawsuit. In 2021, it was named the fourth-largest jury verdict in the nation and third-largest in Texas.
If you or a loved one have suffered a car accident, call our experienced truck accident lawyers at (903) 645-7333 or fill out the electronic form on this page. We’ll will be in touch with you as soon as possible.